When it comes to starting a WordPress Blog/ Website in 2021, you need a hosting solution which is efficient in performance. There are many hosts which offer solutions for hosting WordPress. Three such popular hosts are Flywheel, WP Engine and GoDaddy. These are well known hosting companies offering great features at good and affordable pricing. In this article we will compare Flywheel vs WP Engine vs GoDaddy and see which is best for you.
We will compare important factors like features, pricing, hosting plans as well as pros and cons to come to the conclusion.
Flywheel vs WP Engine vs GoDaddy : Comparison and Review
About/ Company Overview
Flywheel is an excellent Managed WordPress Host when it comes to scaling your business .It offers attractive plans for designers and creative agencies. It is the only Managed WordPress Host recommended by WordPress.org. We are greatly impressed by the features it offers at decent pricing.
WP Engine is a popular name for hosting WordPress sites. It is a market leader in providing great security features packed with equally great performance. It has many reputed companies using its services. More than 1.2M websites use their WordPress solutions for powering their businesses.
GoDaddy is a household name popular for its domain and hosting solutions. It offers cheaper plans than its competitors, best suited for beginners and new sites. It proves best value for money when it comes to choosing a low cost WordPress hosting solution.
According to Wikipedia, GoDaddy was established in 1997 (as Jomax Technologies)
Flywheel vs WP Engine vs GoDaddy: Pricing
Let us first see the entry level pricing of these hosts.
Flywheel’s entry level plan starts from $13 per month in which it offers 20 GB Bandwidth and 5 GB Storage space. Whereas WP Engine offers plans from $25 per month having 50 GB Bandwidth and 10 GB Storage space.
GoDaddy on the other hand also offers good WordPress Hosting plans at a cheaper price. Its entry level plan i.e. Basic Plan comes with 30 GB Storage at $6.99 per month.
Now let us look at the detailed features of these 3 WordPress hosts-
- It offers great features with all the hosting plans it offers. Some of them are as follows-
- PHP 7.4 Ready Support
- Industry leading CDN (powered by Fastly)
- Includes 30+ StudioPress Themes
- Auto-Healing Technology
- Growth suite plans
- Third-Party SSL Certificates
- Staging Sites & Site Cloning
- Nightly backups
- SSH Gateway
- All-in-One SFTP
- Free Migrations along with 24/7 Chat Support
WP Engine Features
WP Engine is also known for its innovative features it offers-
- You get Build Auto Migration
- Build Git and SFTP Connections
- One-Click Staging
- Manage Automated Backups
- WordPress Core Updates
- Dedicated Dev Environments
- Manage SSH Gateway
- 24/7/365 Support
- Free CDN and SSL Certificates
GoDaddy is known for its budget friendly features. It comes with cheaper plans with great built in features-
- Built-in security
- SEO ready, Speed and performance built in
- Website backup protection
- Daily malware scans (Automatically)
- SEO optimizer
- 1-click testing site support
- Daily backups with 1-click restore
- Themes to get you started
Flywheel Server Locations
Flywheel offers the following server locations-
- US – Iowa
- Canada – Montreal
- United Kingdom – London
- Europe – Belgium
- Australia – Sydney
WP Engine Server Locations
WP Engine also supports various regions. Its data centers are located in US, UK, Taiwan, Belgium and Hong Kong.
GoDaddy Server Locations
GoDaddy has its own data center in Phoenix, Arizona. It also has resources in Los Angeles, Chicago, Amsterdam, Ashburn, Virginia and Singapore.
Flywheel vs WP Engine vs GoDaddy: Hosting Plans and Pricing
It offers 4 Managed WordPress Hosting Plans-
This plan costs $13 per month. It is good for beginners looking for entry level hosting plan with good support
- 20 GB bandwidth supported
- Can handle 5,000 monthly visits
- Supports 1 WordPress website
- You get 5 GB disk space
This Managed WordPress Plan costs $25 per month. You get the additional specs like increased Bandwidth and SSD
- 50 GB bandwidth supported
- Can handle 25,000 monthly visits
- Supports only 1 WordPress website
- You get 10 GB disk space
The Freelance Plan costs $96 per month. It offers support for growing client lists
- 200 GB bandwidth included
- Can handle 100,000 monthly visits
- Supports upto 10 WordPress websites
- You get 20 GB disk space
The pricing starts at $242 per month for the Agency plan .It is best for taking your business to the next-level
- You get 30 WordPress website
- Monthly visits-4,00,000
- Disk space- 50 GB
- Bandwidth- 500 GB
The pricing varies as per your requirements and specifications needed. The features include-
- Custom disk space and bandwidth
- 30 WordPress website
- Million+ monthly visits supported
WP Engine Plans and Pricing
WP Engine offers various WordPress hosting solutions- Managed Hosting, Managed Plus and Secure Hosting
Let us see one by one what each type of hosting has to offer-
1) Managed Hosting-
All plans include following features-
- Advanced security
- One-click staging site supported
- Free automated migrations as well
- Daily backups
- 24/7 support included
- 30+ premium themes provided
- Free SSL as well as SSH
It offers 3 different Managed Plans-
Managed Hosting Startup Plan-
- 10 GB Storage Space
- 50 GB Bandwidth
- 25,000 Monthly visits supported
- No of sites- 1
Managed Hosting Professional Plan-
- 15 GB Storage Space
- 125 GB Bandwidth
- 75,000 Monthly visits supported
- No of sites- 3
Managed Hosting Growth Plan-
- 20 GB Storage Space
- 200 GB Bandwidth
- 100,000 Monthly visits supported
- No of sites- 10
Managed Hosting Scale Plan-
- 50 GB Storage Space
- 500 GB Bandwidth
- 400,000 Monthly visits supported
- No of sites- 30
They also have DEDICATED HOSTING CUSTOM Plan which offers following features-
Dedicated, high-availability architecture with 24/7 Premium support and advanced security
2) Managed Hosting Plus
This is the second tier of hosting plans offered by WPEngine. These plans come with additional features as compared to the Managed Hosting Plans mentioned above. You can safely and automatically make plugin updates as per preference ensuring the code works well.
The additional features offered include-
- Auto update Plugins as per preference
- Custom plugins support included
- Supports Automated plugin updates
- Plugin updates are tested with AI as well
- Includes Auto-rollbacks in case of any issues
3) Secure Hosting
The third tier is named as Secure Hosting gives which provides speed and scalability .It is ideal for eCommerce sites needing more protection and security features.
Two important security features added in this plan are –
- Protection from malicious traffic spikes (also known as DDoS)
- Security firewall (WAF inlcuded)
Now let us have a look at the GoDaddy plans in this Flywheel vs WP Engine vs GoDaddy Comparison.
GoDaddy WordPress Plans and Pricing
GoDaddy is a great low cost alternative to Flywheel and WP Engine. Its WordPress hosting plans start at $6.99 per month. It offers 4 different plans-
- Pricing- $6.99 per month
- 30 GB storage
- Supports up to 25K visits
- Free Domain Provided
- SSL certificate is also free
- Pricing- $9.99 per month
- 75 GB storage
- Supports up to 100K visits
- Free Domain and SSL
- SEO optimizer is included as well
- Pricing- $12.99 per month
- Unlimited storage
- Supports Unlimited visits
- Free Domain Provided
- Unlimited malware removal
- Hack repair included free
- Pricing- $15.99 per month
- Unlimited storage
- Supports unlimited visits
- Free Domain Provided
- Great for Woocommerce
Flywheel vs WP Engine vs GoDaddy: Speed, Uptime and Performance
Flywheel Speed, Uptime and Performance
- It provides an uptime of about 99.99% which is great to have. When it comes to choosing a reliable host there is hardly any host better than Flywheel.
- The page load time is quite good and it offers FlyCache inbuilt which enhances the performance. The server response time of Flywheel is less than 400 ms- which is one of the best we have seen.
- Flywheel may be a little expensive for beginners, but its performance is top notch which makes it ideal for WordPress.
WP Engine Speed, Uptime and Performance
When it comes to choosing a Managed Host, it is quite tough to choose from Flywheel and WP Engine. As both these offer great features and advanced technology, their performances are quite similar.
With WP Engine, the uptime is close to 99.99 percent. The servers hardly go down ensuring consistent availability. The page loading speed is also quite great which is must when it comes to getting higher search rankings. Thus WP Engine is a reliable host when it comes to getting a power house hosting performance.
GoDaddy Speed, Uptime and Performance
While GoDaddy does offer a standard 99.9% uptime guarantee, it is practically not the case. There have been instances where the servers go down. This is why you get the low cost pricing as compared to Flywheel and WP Engine.
Flywheel vs WP Engine vs GoDaddy: Pros and Cons
WP Engine Pros and Cons
- The support staff at WP Engine includes specialists who take every problem seriously. You will get prompt support from them for even the smallest issues. You get 24/7 speedy support which makes its Managed hosting worth every penny.
- WP Engine takes care of all the technical stuff. If you are not experienced with managing your own servers, WP Engine is the go to solution for you. It adds a layer of managed service to your business and this can work great as an addon specialist team handling the tech stuff.
- It uses EverCache Technology for Faster Page Load. This enhances the user experience and adds credibility to your website.
- It is trusted by brands around the world- Yelp, Pandora, Marriott, Etsy are some of the well known brands using WP Engine’s services.
- The servers are always up and running. The performance is also great with a good average server response time.
- The only downside is that if you exceed the monthly visits quota of a particular plan, there is an additional charge applicable for the resources you use.
Flywheel Pros and Cons
- Flywheel uses Google Cloud Platform to power your website. It improves the reliability and the service you get with Managed specs is top notch.
- Flywheel offers great service in case of website hacks and breaches. They fix your site quickly and that too free of cost.
- The server response time is great with less than 400 ms average. This is quite good as it helps your site load faster.
- It helps you to clone your site quickly and hassle free which in turn saves a lot of time creating websites. It offers one-click staging features.
- The dashboard is easy to navigate and any beginner would easily get adapted to its UI without any problems.
- The plans are designed with scalability in mind. You can easily upgrade to its hosting plans as per need. It also offers Growth suite plans.
- Flywheel uses the Varnish caching engine to speed up the websites it hosts. This is an inbuilt feature so that you don’t need to download any Cache plugin for speed optimizations.
- Cons- While everything is great, one downside is that the entry level plan supports only 5k visits (But it also offers 2 months free hosting for this entry level plan as well). Also they don’t provide email hosting solutions. For Email hosting Zoho provides good solutions to get started.
GoDaddy Pros and Cons
- Their entry level plans offer better resources at lower price. Thus making it ideal for most beginners needing a WordPress hosting solution.
- They provide free perks as well with a free domain name and SSL certificate for 1 year.
- GoDaddy offers CDN Boost which further enhances page load times to up to 50%.
- With GoDaddy you get access to thousands of free themes and plugins which you can use to optimize your site.
- It also offers automatic updates for WordPress, which lessens your tasks of upgrading them manually.
- The entry level plan is designed to suit a website having 25K monthly visitors. This is great for beginners needing a hosting solution without breaking the bank.
- Cons- Their support is not as great as Flywheel and WP Engine. Also you can expect the performance will be not as good as compared to other hosts which specialize with WordPress platforms.
So which one is best suited for you? This is what we concluded in this Flywheel vs WP Engine vs GoDaddy comparison-
If you are a beginner needing a low cost entry level plan with good specs, you should go with GoDaddy. Whereas if you are an agency or designer needing great scalability, choose either Flywheel or WP Engine. Both these hosts offer best value for money with an unmatched support.
Also Read Popular Comparisons-